Is 100 Mbps Fast Internet or How Fast Is 100 Mbps?
The true answer to “is 100 Mbps fast internet?” – it’s all relative!
Mbps (Millions of bits per second) is used to define the network speed.
ISPs provide different speed packages depending on the market and technology available in the area. So, depending on the area you live in, “how fast is 100 Mbps?” could mean very fast or not so much.
In some remote areas, a speed of 1.5 Mbps may be good enough and 100 Mbps would mean ungodly fast.
While in a major metropolitan area where there’s access to Gigabit internet service provider, 100 Mbps does not mean fast.
- A network connection is a two-way street. You may have access to 1000 Mbps of internet speed but that does not mean that you can download at the same speed – from any website!
- There are other factors as latency, server speed, and load on the server that are important.
- Download speed and network speed are different. Download speed is measured in MBps and network speed is measured in Mbps (“B” means Bytes and “b” means bits). A byte is equal to 8 bits, which means maximum file download speed is 8 times slower than internet speed.
Check your Internet Speed
When you compare 100 Mbps to 25 Mbps, fast may seem to match your desire for high-speed internet. Doubtless, the calculation is simple and supports the idea of internet speed. However, since most of us don’t know our actual requirements, we lure for a faster package at a higher cost. Here’s a simple recommendation and comparison to help you understand:
- 1 Mbps – This speed is sufficient for basic online activities. This includes sending and receiving emails.
- 6 Mbps – You can share and watch videos online.
- 10 Mbps – You are good to stream full HD videos
- 25 Mbps – You’re good to stream ultra-HD videos and online gaming
How Fast Is 100 Mbps?
It would be clear after watching this table How fast is 100 Mbps and why you have to prefer?
|Internet Speed||Load Time
|Download HQ Songs
|Streaming Video Quality|
|56k dial-up modem||14 seconds||12 minutes 30 sec||Low quality|
|256k broadband||3 seconds||3 minutes|
|512k broadband||1.6 seconds||1 min 30 secs|
|1Mbps broadband||0.8 second||41 secs|
|2Mbps broadband||0.4 seconds||20 secs||Medium quality|
|4Mbps broadband||0.1 seconds||5 secs|
|6Mbps broadband||Instant||3.5 secs|
|8Mbps broadband||Instant||2.5 secs||TV-quality|
|12Mbps broadband||Instant||1 sec|
|24Mbps broadband||Instant||Instant||HD Quality|
|+100Mbps broadband||Instant||Instant||HD+ Quality|
How fast is 100 Mbps Internet?
Now, since you know that Mbps is not equal to MBps, therefore 1 Mbps means 1/8th of a byte and it will take 8 seconds for your 1MB file to transfer successfully. Thus, 100 Mbps means 100 times that speed.
So, is 100 Mbps fast?
Sincerely, the Internet of 100 MBPS is considered to somehow very fast for personal use even in the USA and other developed countries. But you need to calculate your data transfer habits so you can calculate your exact requirements. And of course, understand your needs before choosing an internet offer deal. Do not take a long-term contract service, if you’re internet usage is temporary despite the price.
What is a good WIFI speed?
The faster the internet connection, the better the experience. Normally, if you have 25-50 Mbps, you can enjoy your entertainment without any lag.