Johnny Depp Wins Defamation Case Against Amber Heard
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably well aware of the infamous Johnny Depp versus Amber Heard case. However, since it was so complicated and uncomfortable to witness in real time, many people didn’t know what was actually going on during the trials throughout the six weeks. Finally, after what seemed like a long time, the jury revealed the final verdict on the 2nd of June 2022. Here’s everything to know about the case if you have not been following it too closely!
Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard: What Was the Case About?
Being one of the only few cases that have ever been opened to the public and live-streamed from the courtroom, the Johnny-versus-Amber case was a defamation lawsuit. After she published an op-ed in 2018 in the Washington Post, Johnny accused Amber of making inaccurate statements, negatively impacting his career, and attempting to ruin his repetition in the public’s eye. The case was to prove that the article written by Heard was untrue and unfairly affected Johnny Depp’s net worth. In response to this lawsuit, Amber also countersued Depp for defamation.
The Timeline of the Couple
While many believe that the case only started a month and a half ago, the timeline actually goes back a long way.
- Amber Heard met the Pirates of the Caribbean star in 2009 while filming for The Rum Diary.
- In 2012, he separated from Vanessa Paradis, his then partner. The couple had two kids: Johnny Depp’s daughter and model, Lily-Rose Depp, and his son John Christopher. Amber was also breaking up with Tasya Van Ree, her then partner. Reports say that Amber and Johnny started dating each other immediately after this time, or possibly during it.
- Johnny confirmed in 2014 that the two actors were engaged and in a relationship, and they got married in 2015 in Los Angeles among family and close friends.
- In 2016, the marriage started showing visible signs of deterioration. Speculations started but were only heightened after the 27th of May when Amber was seen running in and out of a courthouse with a face visibly bruised.
- Reports confirmed that she had filed a restraining order against her husband, Johnny Depp, on the grounds of domestic violence.
- Immediately after, Depp’s legal representatives reverted that she was trying to get a “premature financial resolution” through alleged abuse.
- Shortly after, both Heard and Depp released their joint statement, saying their relationship was passionate and volatile. Still, neither had made any false accusations nor did they wish to cause emotional or physical harm or get financial gain.
- Since there was no prenuptial arrangement, Amber received exactly 7 million dollars from her ex-husband through a divorce settlement, and she pledged to donate this money to a children’s hospital.
- The couple finally got divorced in 2017, but this was not the end.
The Timeline of the Case
Soon after the divorce, certain events occurred that led to the start of legal lawsuits and courtroom wars. No one, however, knew at that point that this would become one of the most popular celebrity cases of all time.
- Amber wrote and published a Washington Post article in 2018 where she talked about dealing with abuse and sexual violence in the past, hinting (but not naming) ex-husband Johnny Depp.
- The Sun Magazine also published an article calling Depp a “wife better” in 2018.
- Soon after these incidents, Disney announced an unexpected dropout of Johnny Depp from the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise, stating that he would no longer play the well-loved character of Jack Sparrow.
- In 2019, Johnny filed a defamation lawsuit of 50 million dollars against Heard. In 2020, Depp also sued the executive editor and the publisher of Sun Magazine for the article they published two years ago. Depp had Vanessa Paradis and Winona Ryder testifying in his favor, and the trial ended after three weeks. In November 2020, Depp lost the case against Sun Magazine and had to leave his role in the Fantastic Beasts as Grindelwald.
- A hundred million dollar lawsuit between Amber Heard and Johnny Depp started in Virginia on the 11th of April, 2022. Stars like Ellen Barking, James Franco, Elon Musk, and Paul Bettany testified in court during the trial, which lasted for six weeks and ended on the 2nd of June 2022.
Some Key Points of the Case
The following are some of the most significant things that happened during this trial of six weeks, which have directly affected the case both inside and outside the courtroom:
- Fans inspired by Johnny Depp movies were always crowded outside the courtroom, waiting to warmly welcome the celebrity and offer their support in person.
- Johnny took the stand and gave a testimonial in which he revealed his childhood story and experience with an abusive, violent parent.
- The actor also talked about his own experience with drug abuse but clarified that he was not a maniac or violent with women.
- Amber also gave a testimony in which she accused her ex-husband of physical and sexual abuse, mentioning graphic details. Her testimony went on for two days, in which she thoroughly explained how and when the abusive behavior started.
- The evidence provided by Amber included pictures, audio clips, video clips, and witness testimonies. Her key witnesses included her sister and makeup artist, who confirmed that they had witnessed Depp being violent with Amber.
- Johnny also provided the same forms of evidence in court to defend himself. His most important witnesses included his sister, ex-partner Kate Moss, and other close friends who verified that he had never been violent with them.
Shocking Revelations from Johnny Depp and Amber Heard
Like any other trial, even this one had some rather shocking moments that made headlines:
- One of the earliest shocking revelations in the case included the incident where Amber allegedly defecated on the couple’s bed, particularly on Johnny’s side, as a rebellious response to their ongoing issues. She was also accused of physically and emotionally abusing Johnny, making him the survivor of domestic violence in this case.
- Evidence revealed a particular audio clip from one of their conversations. In this particular audio, Amber allegedly provoked Johnny Depp, age 58, to reveal himself as a survivor of domestic violence and stated that no one would believe him.
- Legal documentation and witness testimonies also proved that Amber never sent the 7 million dollars she promised to charity.
- During her testimony, Amber stated that when she was Johnny Depp’s wife, he abused her not only physically and emotionally but also sexually. She explained a rather significant incident where he penetrated her with a liquor bottle.
- Evidence revealed by Amber also included a series of text messages between Johnny and his friend Paul, in which he referred to Amber with crude, violent words. These texts were read aloud in the courtroom.
On the 2nd of June, 2022, the jury announced their verdict: Amber Heard used malice and defamed Johnny Depp; she is to give 15 million dollars for damages. The jury also ruled in her favor in certain aspects, and she was awarded 2 million dollars in her countersuit. Depp fans that have been closely following the case are beyond happy for their beloved actor.
While he did not attend the verdict himself and was not present in the court that day, videos have emerged where Depp is seen in public and interacting with fans.