How do I Change my Charter WiFi Password?
Are you a Charter user trying to keep your network secure? One way of doing that is to change my Spectrum WiFi password. This guide will explain how to access your network information and change the password.
The 2016 Data Breach Investigation report says that 63% of the popular data breaches were a result of a weak or stolen password. Cybercriminals have become smarter than ever and yet users fail to understand the significance of maintaining online security. Phishing attacks in recent years were targeted toward user credentials.
Another research says that at least 300,000 home routers have been hacked in the past few years. Your Spectrum compatible modems might be a risk too. If you didn’t change the default password of your wireless network, change it today. Just like you secure your online accounts because they contain your personal information, you must ensure the security of your wireless network as well. Changing the password of your WiFi is a good way to start.
How to Change Charter WiFi Password?
Before changing your password, you need to know where to view your WiFi information from.
Viewing WiFi information
There are two ways of viewing the name and password of your WiFi network:
Option 1: Using Manage Account
- Visit the official website
- Open “Manage Account”
- Choose “Services” from the option
- Select “Internet” and you will be able to view the information
Option 2: Using My Internet
- Visit the official website
- Log into your account: spectrum.net/login
- Click on “My Internet”
- Go to “Manage WiFi Settings”
You can also use “My Internet” to check your Internet plans.
Don’t miss: How To Change Spectrum Email Password?
Changing Charter WiFi Password
You can change the WiFi password using the following two options:
Option 1: Via Spectrum.net
Those users who received their equipment in 2013 or later can use Spectrum.net to find their WiFi credentials and change their passwords online. Here is how to get started:
- Log into your online account by entering your username and password.
- Go to the “Services” section and click on the “Internet” tab.
- Choose the blue down arrow for viewing more information about your internet ultra plan.
- You will be able to view your SSID which is your network’s name and password. Go ahead and change the password from there by clicking on the edit/update tab.
Option 2: Via My Spectrum App
You can also change your network’s name and password using the app if you have already subscribed to in-home WiFi.
- Sign in to your online account with the app.
- Tap “Services” from the menu. This will show you the network name and password of your WiFi.
- Choose “Update” to change your network name or password.
- Enter the updated information and tap on “Save Changes.”
Tips for Creating a Strong Password
Getting fast (more than 100 Mbps) and reliable Internet connection is the concern of most of us but a strong WiFi password, not so much.
It’s equally important to spend time on creating a strong password as your network’s security depends on it. Need help? Follow these tips:
- Keep the password as long and random as possible. It must be 12 characters long.
- It should be a combination of alphabets, numbers, and special characters.
- Never reuse an old password or use the same password for two different devices/accounts.
- Don’t use your name, sir’s name, and date of birth or address for creating a password. Avoid using passwords such as “123456” at all costs. They are very easy to guess.
Don’t miss: What is Spectrum Home WiFi?
WiFi Router Security Options
If you are concerned about protecting your network further, the Charter WiFi router comes with some features to provide an additional layer of security. Usually, routers come with preset security options in the form of an SSID (network name) and the network key for preventing unauthorized access.
Routers are mostly configured with WPA2 security encryption to enhance wireless security. It makes sure no one snoops into your Internet usage. WPA2 is a security protocol that all wireless networks are equipped with. It’s the latest security measure. Users are recommended not to change this setting. The additional security features in routers include:
- QoS (Quality of Service) prioritizes the type of web traffic
- Guest WiFi to allow guests to access your wireless network and limit its access to local resources only.
- Traffic metering for monitoring the volume of traffic passing through the port of your router.
Don’t put off changing your network’s password to a more secure one until tomorrow. Strong credentials can protect you from cyber-attacks. It will only take a few minutes to change the Charter WiFi password. Do it today to make your network more secure. If you face any trouble changing your WiFi password, it would be better to call Charter 1-866-200-7855 or visit the Spectrum customer support page for assistance.