How to Watch Movies Together with Friends Online?
In this COVID-19 quarantine season, lots of us are missing our gangs. We are keeping or sanity alive by Facetiming them every once in a while. To bring back the fun, why not connect with your friends? No, we don’t mean via online games or video calling but by watching movies with them together online. Host a movie night with your friend in the lockdown!
Grab a pen and paper to list down movies to watch during quarantine while this blog explains how to tune in together.
Ways to Host an Online Movie Event
Web services allow you to invite your friends and watch movies in complete sync. While streaming, you can send messages and even video chat. To use these services or apps, you will need their subscription and all parties must be logged into their accounts.
It’s also important to have a reliable connection. Note: You may qualify for Spectrum free Internet if you are a K-12 or college student. Without further ado, let’s see what these services are and how you can watch movies, TV shows, and other genres of content online with your friends:
Do you have Netflix already? Great! Host a Netflix Party to sync your streams with your friends. It also allows you to add live chat on the right side of the screen. Netflix Party is available for Chrome only.
Here is how to get started:
- Download the Netflix Party extension
- Log into your Netflix account.
- Play any video you like
- The extension icon will turn from gray to red. Click on it.
- A popup will appear showing instructions for how to create a party.
- Click “Start the Party” to get started.
- This should open up another pop-up link.
- Share this URL with your friends.
- You will receive an icon automatically.
- Click on the icon and start watching.
If you are to join a Netflix Party created by someone else, simply click on the link and then click on the icon to start watching.
The next option on the list is Metastream. Many users like it because it lets you watch videos on a variety of platforms. These include Twitch, YouTube, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and even Netflix. It allows you to live chat with your buddies.
This app is in its beta version so you might experience some glitches. Some users experienced issues with Hulu on chrome so if you are watching on Hulu, choose Firefox. To begin hosting your friends on Metastream, follow these steps:
- Download Chrome or Firefox extension
- Visit app on the browser
- Type your display name
- Click on “Get Started”
- Click on “Start Session”
- From the invite button, you will get a sharable link
- Copy it and send it to your friends.
- Your friends simply have to click on the link to join.
- When your friends join, you can see their names in a box.
- Click on the checkmark to welcome them in.
- The host can make the session private, public, or offline.
- An unlimited number of users can join the session.
- Once everyone joins, the screen can get busy quickly.
- Go to the settings to make changes and clear things up.
Would you like to video chat while watching your favorite comedy stand-up shows or movies on Netflix? If yes, then Scener is all you need. This service works with Netflix only and up to 10 people can watch. You may only use it through your primary profile.
This is how you can use Scener to watch movies with friends and video chat at the same time:
- Download the Chrome extension
- Create an account and then click on the icon from the address bar
- Log into your Netflix account
- Choose “Create Private Group”
- Type in the group’s name and click next
- You will get a shareable link
- Copy this link and send it to your friends
- They should be able to join by clicking the link
- Once everyone has joined, click “Watch Together”
- Go to the settings button right next to the purple icon.
- This will make some icons pop up.
- Click on the camera and microphone.
- This enables video and audio.
- You will be able to see and hear all your friends.
- Hit play and start enjoying the movie session.
- Add more friends to an existing session by typing their names.
- Click on the “Add Friend” button.
- Click on their name and select “Watch Together.”
Watch2gether is another great service to watch videos online with your buddies in real time. It’s fairly straightforward to use. No registration is required. All you need is a nickname to host a virtual party.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Visit the website on your browser
- Click on “Create a Room” button
- Type in your nickname
- A chatroom will open up
- Start adding your friends
- You may invite your friends or join a room already in operation
- Enjoy viewing the videos together and start a conversation
Watch2gether is simple to get started but it only lets you watch videos from Vimeo, YouTube, and DailyMotion. It also lets you listen to audios from SoundCloud with your friends.
That’s it, folks! This is how you and your buddies can watch the show together. So what if not all your friends have Spectrum TV plans and you can’t tune in to the same channel to watch the same show or movie. If you have Hulu, Netflix, or any other streaming service, and access to the Internet, your gang can still get together.